Afghanistan

An explosion in the heart of Mazar-e-Sharif left more than 100 people dead and wounded

At noon (Thursday, April 21), worshipers of the Shiite Seh Dokan Mosque in the heart of Mazar-e-Sharif, the busiest area, were attacked by a suicide bomber, killing and wounding more than 100 people.

Local sources say the blast took place inside a mosque during prayers, killing and injuring many Afghan Shiites, and that the area was cordoned off by the Taliban minutes later and no one was allowed to approach the scene.

“An explosion took place in the second district inside a Shiite mosque, killing ten and injuring fifteen,” said Mohammad Asif Waziri, spokesman for the Taliban police command in Mazar-e-Sharif.

But popular sources at the scene deny it and say that the number of killed and injured is more than a hundred people and add that in such a crowded place, it is not possible for twenty or thirty people to be killed or wounded.

Meanwhile, sources at Mazar-e-Sharif Hospital say that more than 30 people have been killed and 60 injured since the blast at the Seh Dokan mosque.
According to sources, the number of casualties is likely to increase.

Hekmat, an eyewitness who went to the scene, said that the casualties of the blast reached more than two hundred people.
He adds that the explosion took place during the gathering and offering of prayers, and that this mosque would have offered nearly five hundred prayers in such conditions.

Along with this, Najibullah Tawana, the director of the Balkh Regional Hospital, says that ten dead and 15 wounded have been transferred to the hospital so far, and that the condition of the injured is serious.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack on a Shiite mosque in Mazar-e-Sharif. A bloody attack that has left more than a dozen dead and wounded.

Reported by: Nasima Rawnae

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button